Eggplant-Filled Ravioli With Tomato Cream Sauce
This recipe takes a while to make, just like anything else
that is good, it takes time but is well worth the effort!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 217
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 66g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 md Eggplant
- 2 tb Olive oil
- 1 sm Onion, chopped
- 2 c Garlic, minced
- 2 tb White wine, dry
- 2 tb Parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 tb Basil, fresh, minced or 1 tsp. dried, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 c Flour, all-purpose
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 3 tb Water, (about)
- 1/2 c Madeira
- 1/4 c White wine, dry
- 3 tb Shallots, minced
- 2 c Whipping cream
- 1/4 ts Lemon peel, grated
- 1 c Tomatoes, Italian plum, peeled, seeded and chopped or
- drained chopped canned Italian plum tomatoes
- Minced fresh basil
- For Filling:
- Peel eggplant and slice 1/2-inch thick. Salt generously on
- both sides. Drain on paper towels 45 minutes. Pat dry with
- paper towels. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat oil
- in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and
- garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant
- and saute until beginning to turn golden brown, about 15
- minutes. Stir in wine, parsley and basil, scraping up
- browned bits. Cover and cook until eggplant is tender,
- about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to
- processor or blender and puree until smooth. Cool
- For Pasta:
- Combine flour, eggs and salt in processor and mix well.
- With machine running, add just enough water through feed
- tube to form ball. Remove from processor. Cover dough and
- let rest for 30 minutes. (Pasta dough can also be made by
- Cut dough into 4 pieces. Flatten 1 piece (keep remainder
- covered), then fold in thirds. Turn pasta machine to
- widest setting and run dough through several times until
- smooth and velvety, folding before each run and dusting
- with flour if sticky. Adjust machine to next narrower
- setting. Run dough through machine without folding.
- Repeat, narrowing rollers after each run, until pasta is
- 1/16 to 1/8-inch thick, dusting with flour as necessary.
- Line baking sheets with towels. Set sheet of dough on work
- surface. Place about 1-1/2 teaspoons filling at 2-inch
- intervals along sheet. Roll second piece of dough. Set
- atop first sheet. Press down around filling to force out
- air and seal dough. Cut into 2-inch squares. Arrange on
- prepared sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Cover with towel.
- For Sauce:
- Combine Madeira, wine and shallots in heavy small
- saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Add cream and peel and boil 5 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Stir in tomatoes. Season with salt and
- Cook ravioli in large pot of boiling water until just
- tender but still firm to bite, about 4 minutes for fresh.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain. Divide among plates.
- Spoon sauce over. Garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
- Serves 6.
- Do Ahead Hints:
- * Ravioli can be prepared one day ahead and refrigerated
- or one month ahead, wrapped tightly and frozen. Do not
- thaw before cooking.
- * Sauce can be prepared one day ahead; refrigerate.
- Even Easier:
- * Purchase sheets of fresh pasta for the ravioli or buy
- prepared ravioli to serve with the tomato cream sauce here.