Eggplant-Filled Ravioli With Tomato Cream Sauce
This recipe takes a while to make, just like anything else that is good, it takes time but is well worth the effort!
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 217
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 25g
Saturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrates 66g
Dietary Fiber 6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 md Eggplant
- 2 tb Olive oil
- 1 sm Onion, chopped
- 2 c Garlic, minced
- 2 tb White wine, dry
- 2 tb Parsley, fresh, minced
- 1 tb Basil, fresh, minced or 1 tsp. dried, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 c Flour, all-purpose
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 3 tb Water, (about)
- 1/2 c Madeira
- 1/4 c White wine, dry
- 3 tb Shallots, minced
- 2 c Whipping cream
- 1/4 ts Lemon peel, grated
- 1 c Tomatoes, Italian plum, peeled, seeded and chopped or
- drained chopped canned Italian plum tomatoes
- Minced fresh basil
- For Filling:
- Peel eggplant and slice 1/2-inch thick. Salt generously on
- both sides. Drain on paper towels 45 minutes. Pat dry with
- paper towels. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat oil
- in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and
- garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant
- and saute until beginning to turn golden brown, about 15
- minutes. Stir in wine, parsley and basil, scraping up
- browned bits. Cover and cook until eggplant is tender,
- about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to
- processor or blender and puree until smooth. Cool
- For Pasta:
- Combine flour, eggs and salt in processor and mix well.
- With machine running, add just enough water through feed
- tube to form ball. Remove from processor. Cover dough and
- let rest for 30 minutes. (Pasta dough can also be made by
- Cut dough into 4 pieces. Flatten 1 piece (keep remainder
- covered), then fold in thirds. Turn pasta machine to
- widest setting and run dough through several times until
- smooth and velvety, folding before each run and dusting
- with flour if sticky. Adjust machine to next narrower
- setting. Run dough through machine without folding.
- Repeat, narrowing rollers after each run, until pasta is
- 1/16 to 1/8-inch thick, dusting with flour as necessary.
- Line baking sheets with towels. Set sheet of dough on work
- surface. Place about 1-1/2 teaspoons filling at 2-inch
- intervals along sheet. Roll second piece of dough. Set
- atop first sheet. Press down around filling to force out
- air and seal dough. Cut into 2-inch squares. Arrange on
- prepared sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Cover with towel.
- For Sauce:
- Combine Madeira, wine and shallots in heavy small
- saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Add cream and peel and boil 5 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Stir in tomatoes. Season with salt and
- Cook ravioli in large pot of boiling water until just
- tender but still firm to bite, about 4 minutes for fresh.
- Remove with slotted spoon; drain. Divide among plates.
- Spoon sauce over. Garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
- Serves 6.
- Do Ahead Hints:
- * Ravioli can be prepared one day ahead and refrigerated
- or one month ahead, wrapped tightly and frozen. Do not
- thaw before cooking.
- * Sauce can be prepared one day ahead; refrigerate.
- Even Easier:
- * Purchase sheets of fresh pasta for the ravioli or buy
- prepared ravioli to serve with the tomato cream sauce here.